Thursday, May 27, 2021

Book Beginnings on Fridays/Friday 56: Off-Script and Over-Caffeinated, and Book Blogger Hop

   



    Hey! If you've visited my blog earlier this May, I hope that you've been enjoying all of the fun blogiversary stuff. This marks the end of that very special month, and I hope you've enjoyed the Bookish Opinion series as well as all the other stuff that made it into this Week of Book Memes!

    This week my Book Beginnings on Fridays/Friday 56 is actually spotlighting Off-Script and Over-Caffeinated, one of the books part of my blogiversary giveaway! I've actually reviewed the book already AND interviewed one of the authors, but I love it so much I thought it would be fun to include it here.

Title: Off-Script and Over Caffeinated

Authors: Kaley and Rhonda Rhea

Genre: Christian Fiction

Synopsis: Finding the beauty of Not-Like-Me! If there's one thing Harlow Cruise hates more than those schmaltzy Heartcast TV movies, it's the fact that she loves those schmaltzy Heartcast TV movies. She loves them angrily. With popcorn. Pop-scorn? As if she doesn't get enough drama in her day-to-day--directing a ministry-minded community theatre that cranks out three shows a month and trying to keep up with her aspiring screenwriter bestie, Teagan, a self-described "dramagician." When the Heartcast Channel Movie division announces they'll briefly be allowing submissions for new, original Christmas movies, Teagan is convinced this is her time. Roped into workshopping scenes from Teagan's in-progress spec script, Harlow finds herself paired with an even more reluctant co-star. Jack Bentley might have the most Heartcast Original Movie name on the planet, but he is anything but formulaic. How different can two people be? It's fine. Made-for-TV plot-points do NOT a romance make. Right? Right?

First Line: Harlow folded her hands neatly on the conference table in front of her and set her posture to textbook-level pristine. Still she found it difficult to appear serious and professional in the face of a frankly excellent picture of her with her brother using the community theater stage as an impromptu Slip 'N Slide.

My Thoughts: These two first sentences set up A LOT! For one thing, the mention of the conference table, textbook, community theater, and Slip 'N Slide, implies that this story takes place in a modern setting. Harlow is obviously the main character, and her struggle to appear composed hints that there's a more spontaneous, reckless, side to her. The mention of her brother hints that they have a close relationship, and the tension set up through the mention of the meeting and Harlow's requirement to be serious makes you want to keep reading.



    Honestly, Off-Script and Over-Caffeinated is so gold that it's not hard to find a great, quotable line (or a couple!). There was a lot of great dialogue and humor in the particular scene that came up at 56%, but I decided to focus on a more thoughtful passage...and one of my favorite highlighted quotes!

From Off Script and Over-Caffeinated: "It's like Paul told the Corinthian church babies, 'I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.' You and I were never what makes it work...You're acting like this is on your shoulders. It isn't. You are planting."



    And now for this week's Book Blogger Hop question...

This Week's Question: Who is your favorite character out of all the books you've read?

My Answer: Ahh, such a hard question! I'd have to say though that my favorite character and type of character is Jo March from "Little Women". It's often hard for me to be as bold, brave, and confident so I love finding characters who are!





    Thanks for taking a look at this post! I hope you enjoyed the small excerpts of Love Comes Softly.

    What about you? Have you read Off-Script and Over Caffeinated? If so, what did you think about it? If not,  would you consider reading? If you had a Friday post, please send me the link so I can read it!

    Just like I mentioned, I'm giving away a FREE, SIGNED copy of Off-Script and Over-Caffeinated, as well as a copy of Kara Swanson's Dust. All the details are below.
    

  1. Sign up for a Goodreads account (if you don't have one already!)
  2. Follow me (JadeSky: Stepping Stones Book Reviews), Kaley Rhea, AND Kara Swanson on Goodreads.
  3. Post a comment below this blog post telling me you entered.
  4. Wait for the winner! (Announced June 4, 2021)

    Next week, stay tuned for another review...and the reveal of the giveaway winner!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Julie! I'm trying to figure out what is different about your blog... Can't put my finger on it!

    Nope, I haven't read Off Script, Over Caffeinated - but it seems like a good weekend read.

    Aaah - Jo is a good choice...

    Have a good weekend and happy reading!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for the very late reply!

      Thanks for stopping by and offering your thoughts.

      Delete