Thursday, November 19, 2020

A Book Review: The Scarlet Letter

    Hey, everyone! This week I decided to do something a little different and review a classic I read for school. I'm definitely hoping to come back to it sometime soon...especially if I decide to participate in The Classics Club book challenge.

    This book review contains no spoilers!



Title: The Scarlet Letter

Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne

Series: This is a standalone novel.

Targeted Age Range: Adults

Synopsis: Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter reaches to our nation's historical and moral roots for the material of great tragedy. Set in an early New England colony, the novel shows the terrible impact a single, passionate act has on the lives of three members of the community: the defiant Hester Prynne; the fiery, tortured Reverend Dimmesdale; and the obsessed, vengeful Chillingworth.

With The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne became the first American novelist to forge from our Puritan heritage a universal classic, a masterful exploration of humanity's unending struggle with sin, guilt and pride.

Language: There are some mentions of insults.

Violence: Non-graphic death and dying are mentioned. A few of the local children fling mud at Hester and her daughter. It's mentioned that the antagonist, Roger Chillingsworth, uses different medical treatments to stint Dimmesdale's physical health.

Romance/Sexual Stuff: A past adulterous relationship is alluded to in The Scarlet Letter, and the action does have an impact on the rest of the book, producing a child born out of wedlock and shame on the mother.

Spiritual Elements: A main theme of the book is with the effects of sin and guilt. More subtly, it is also a struggle between the ideals of Romanticism and Christianity. The story takes place in a Puritan community, and there are references to Biblical terms, preaching, and Puritan beliefs and thought. Some of the characters are pastors, and many of them profess to being Christians. Christian themes and ideals are also woven throughout the book. There are also a few concepts from old, superstitious legends mentioned.

Once Hester's daughter, Pearl, declares she has no Heavenly Father.

Magic: Though the setting itself is not magical, there are different references to witches, fairy folk, and other supernatural elements.

References: There are references to various historical events and figures, as well as to Greek mythology.

Other Issues: None

Where To Buy: Various editions of The Scarlet Letter are available on Amazon, eBay, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Abebooks, Alibris, Indigo, Book Depository, and Better World Books. There is also an audiobook version via Audible.

My Age Range: Due to the advanced vocabulary and difficult concepts, I'd suggest this book for kids aged 14 and up.

Read Aloud: I think this book would be better read alone, but definitely should be discussed with others. The book is too packed with meaning to read once and never think about again.

My Opinion: The Scarlet Letter is one of those books you hear about as a classic, but is never really talked about unless you have to. I went into reading this with mixed feelings, wondering what it would really be like. From the synopsis and premise, it seems like this novel will be all about why you shouldn't ever do what Hester has done, and the impact this scarlet "A" has on this stiff Puritan town.
    Instead, I found an eye-opening, vivid commentary on the effects of shame, both on the individual and society, and an almost violent clash against Romanticism, a type of worldview widely popularized in Hawthorne's day and age. I was blown away by the stunning descriptions, subtle irony, and psychologically chilling characters used to tell this grand, still-relevant story. It's fascinating to me how strongly the author is able to get us to see his side through the sheer power of storytelling. All of the references, intertwined meaning, and moods scattered throughout the book had me coming back for more, wondering what would happen next. As I continued reading I found myself caught in my intensifying empathy for both Hester and Pearl, and the hidden guilt of Pastor Dimmesdale.
    I'd recommend this book for anyone who is looking for something that will make them think, have them wonder and puzzle over how the concepts expressed in The Scarlet Letter may apply to their own world. No matter how you interpret the sagas of Hester, Pearl, Dimmesdale, and Chillingsworth, The Scarlet Letter will be a story not so easily forgotten.

Discussion Questions:

-At the beginning of The Scarlet Letter, did you find yourself identifying with one particular character? If so, why? After reading the end of the book, has your answer changed?

-Who do you believe is more internally tortured: Hester Prynne or Arthur Dimmesdale? Why?

-What's your opinion of Pearl? Do you believe she is really the result of her parents' sin in human form? Do you put any stock in all of the otherworldly descriptions of her as truth?

-What's your opinion of the Puritan community as a whole? Why? Give examples from The Scarlet Letter that support your opinion.

-Hawthorne is masterful at using vivid description to draw readers in and make a point. Did you have a favorite metaphor or description he used in The Scarlet Letter? Can you name one time he used description to make a point?

-After reading The Scarlet Letter, what do you believe is the book's theme? In thinking about the theme's relevance today, do you believe the theme should be revised or changed?

(I also found Leland Ryken's Christian Guides to the Classics: Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter really helpful in analyzing and understanding The Scarlet Letter. It does reveal some major spoilers for the story from the beginning, so I'd suggest picking up a copy after you're familiar with it.)


    Thanks for checking out The Scarlet Letter with me. What about you? Have you read this book already? If so, what did you think about it? If not, do you plan to?

    Like always, I'd love to get review requests! Simply head to my Review Policy page, make sure the book (or book series) lines up with what I'm looking for, and ask away.

    Next week I'll be regularly posting for this month's Week of Book Memes! (You can find all the book memes I've done in the past for this blog event HERE.) As well as doing another #IMWAYR, Top Ten Tuesday, and Friday combo post, I'm also excited to be bringing you a very special interview, with the same authors that wrote the first book I ever reviewed on here. I'm very excited to share all those posts with you. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, The Scarlet Letter, big one. I thought your review was really GREAT!!! I have not read The Scarlet Letter, but I did read I think it was a short story the author wrote for school. But when my mom was telling me about it, she kind of spoiled the ending. The good news was I don't remember what she said. I have no idea why I said all of that. (I think I'm getting crazier by the day...XD) But I have thought about reading this book. Maybe one of these days I'll pick it up. I have a hard time reading classics, though. I've been in the Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle since March. But I'm almost done with it....
    Anyway, great review!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR UPCOMING POSTS THEY SOUND SO EXCITING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting! I've found myself really enjoying everything you post on here, and wondering how you'll react to this or that.

    Nice...Well, I hope you check it out! Classics can be hard to slog through, but so worth it.

    I hope you enjoy the posts coming your way! I don't think you've seen any of my Week of Book Memes posts before, so I'm excited to share them with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to read this book in high school, but I ended up really liking it. Especially Hester's quiet strength throughout the book. And I'm a fan of Hawthorne's writing. I like all the books of his that I've read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my book choice! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete