Friday, August 21, 2020

Book Beginnings on Fridays: Starring Me

    Hello! I'm so excited to share my first Book Beginning on Friday with you. This book is a sequel to a great YA read I reviewed last week, called First Date. (You can find my review of it HERE.) Though both books are about Christian life, the first one focuses on a girl who's already a Christian, while this one is about a girl just finding out more about Christians. Both, however, are fun, spunky books that take a look at different parts of show business, viewed through the eyes of ordinary characters.

    Click here to look at all of my Book Beginnings on Fridays.

    So, let's get to the first line!


Title: Starring Me

Author: Krista McGee

Genre: Christian Fiction/Contemporary Fiction

Synopsis: Kara McKormick is told she's auditioning to star in a new teen variety show. But it's what she isn't told that could change her life.

The feisty New Yorker moves to sunny Orlando to participate in a month-long audition, where she'll live with nine other contestants and an eccentric housemother. Kara knows that the show already has a big-time celebrity lined up for the co-host, but she doesn't know who it is.

Chad Beacon quickly rose to fame after winning America's Next Star, but he doesn't want his entire career to be about singing. There is so much more he wants to do-like act. The new variety show sounds like the perfect next step for him, but his parents want him to have a co-star who shares his faith since they'll be spending so much time together.

Acting is high on Kara's priority list. But a relationship with God? Not so much. In fact, she's tried to stay away from anything religious. But God is after Kara's heart and He's put people in her life who are showing her there's far more to Christianity than rules and judgment.

And just when it seems that Kara's going to have to give up her acting dream, God reveals that she may have a starring role after all-in a story so big only He could write it.

First Line: "I want my parents to pick my costar." Chad Beacon, current pop sensation, sank back in the leather chair.

My Thoughts: I love this first line, both as a writer and a reader. The reader in me wants to know who Chad Beacon is, why he's so famous, and is shocked that he seems to value his parents' opinion. The writer in me nods in approval that the first two sentences are already drawing in the reader. You have to bring in a reader as soon as possible to keep them invested, and McGee's first line certainly does that!


    I hope you enjoy this little sneak peek of Starring Me! Is it enough to make you check out the series? What did you think of the synopsis? Does it make you want to read more?

    Join me next week for looking at a teen author's thrilling fantasy adventure, including a full interview...

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad the first line piqued your interest!

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I read First Date years ago and loved it, but somehow missed this one. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it yesterday and thought it was a good continuation of "First Date". Glad I could add to your TBR list! Have a great weekend too.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to read more christian fiction books for a while now so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this post helped you!

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Hi there JadeSky! Lovely book pick.

    Welcome to the Friday groups! Link up with the Friday 56 as well, it's great fun and Fridays are my favorite meme day.

    Have a lovely weekend and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had not heard of Friday 56, so I had not done it before. When I do another Book Beginning on Friday, I'll be sure to include that.

      You have a great weekend, too! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  5. Welcome. I had a thought as I was clicking your link that I didn't remember visiting you before. Now I know why. Have fun with us every Friday and be sure to visit everyone's websites and make comments so we get to know you. My book is called WEATHER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting first lines! It makes me wonder that he values his parents' opinions so highly, too! Something you don't see often in books anymore, so it definitely catches my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked reading the first line! I agree, that respect is definitely something not seen a lot.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete