Monday, August 24, 2020

A Book Review: My Father's Son (Plus EXCLUSIVE interview with the author!)

     Hi! This week I am thrilled to post yet another author interview, including a look at their recent debut. This story is full of heart, hope, and healing, and it's an honor for me to promote it here.

    This is my fourth author interview on this blog. In the past I've featured Jordyn Hadden, Avarose White, and Tara Grayce. Check out those posts by clicking on the links attached to the names.

    There may be minor spoilers as I try to give an accurate picture of the book.

   (The discussion questions will have spoilers, since they are supposed to be used after reading the book.)

(Note: The book cover is white, so the cover art blends into the background of this blog.)

Title: My Father's Son

Author: Emily Murray

Series: None

Targeted Age Range: 12-18

Synopsis: Audric, age sixteen, is an orphaned tailor's apprentice. When his city, Bethenbrook, comes under Serpent attack, he and his best friend are mistaken for Serpents and thrown in prison. In an attempt to escape, they come across plans for complete kingdom take over. Before they can warn the king, they're captured again and sold as slaves. Will Audric rise above all odds to save his kingdom? Or will fear and betrayal claim victory once and for all?

Language: Audric gets into a heated argument with a friend. There are some insults thrown around. A young girl threatens to bite someone (she doesn't).

Violence: As Audric and his allies try to put the true ruler back on the throne, fighting, capture, and death are often in the story, though not glorified or approved of. Audric feels remorse after his first time killing someone, and two characters get close to death. On a pirate ship, some sailors threaten to punish young children if they don't do what they say. It's mentioned that one man's mother died in childbirth. Both Audric and one of his antagonists suffer from violent nightmares. One friend of Audric's gets his hands on sleeping poison.

Romance/Sexual Stuff: Audric finds himself falling for a girl named Forrest, who he meets on his adventure. As the story goes on, he finds out one of his friends also has a crush on Forrest. After a brief conversation Forrest mistakenly assumes Audric was involved with another girl. One of Audric's allies falls in love with a young mother. Crush-like feelings and blushing are mentioned, but not too much. Later, Forrest and Audric hold hands.

Spiritual Elements: None

Magic: None

References: None

Other Issues: One of Audric's allies was adopted, after being "left in a basket on the side of the road". It's mentioned one of Forrest's brothers, who owns a tavern, is fond of "fighting and alcohol."

Where To Buy: My Father's Son is available on Amazon.

My Age Range: I think kids aged 13 and up would enjoy this book the most.

Read Aloud: I think this would be a good read aloud for the families with kids old enough to handle the issues above.

My Opinion: I found out about this book by reading and critiquing a rough draft version via an online writing community. When I heard Emily Murray was going to self-publish the final version earlier this year, I was super excited and added purchasing it to my still-overflowing TBR list. Then, COVID-19 hit. For a while, I remembered a little of the story (something about pirates and escaping) but couldn't remember what happened to it, what the end was like, or when I'd checked it out. Luckily, I stumbled on an old update about the story being available to buy, and remembered that bit of news enough to grab a digital copy. I went into the book in a strange state of half-remembering the beginning, while also reading it in depth for the very first time.
    I'm pleased to write that reading My Father's Son was not only the "epic adventure" tale I remembered enjoying, but that the characters and message grabbed me by the heart and refused to let go. I loved seeing both Audric and Forrest grow internally while they deepened their relationship at the same time. All of the characters were a joy to read about, really. The action was well done, the plotting was fast-paced, and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the dialogue, since it felt so natural and witty. Most of all, the story spoke to me deeply about courage, fighting for good things, and treasuring the people around me.
    I'd recommend My Father's Son for any adventure-lovers, grown kids resisting the urge to play pirates or knights, and readers who enjoy action packed tales with an emphasis on loyalty and family.

Discussion Questions:

-Audric feels like he is a coward for not saving Oliver's family. After reading the book, do you agree with his conclusion, or agree with Oliver's mother's opinion (it was impossible for him to rescue them in that moment)? Why?

-Both Audric and Hadrian both struggle with not being able to meet their late, or missing, parents. How would you feel if you were Audric or Hadrian? Were you surprised when Hadrian was able to find some of his family?

-Who is your favorite character in the book? Why?

-Audric and Forrest become especially close as the story goes on. Why do you think Audric fell in love with Forrest? Why do you think Forrest fell in love with Audric?

-Through what happened to him, what did Audric learn about himself?

-What did you think about the epilogue? Did you feel it ended the story well, or that more things could have been written in it?

Of Swords and Stories: An Interview With Emily Murray
August 19, 2020


What inspired you to write My Father’s Son?


My love for writing was what inspired me in the beginning. The moment the journey of writing "My Father's Son" began, I didn't know where it would lead or how it would end - all I knew is that I had to follow my passion for writing.  


Did you have a favorite scene or character to write? Why or why not?


I love all of my characters, but Forrest and Oliver were very fun to write. I think my favorite part to write was the epilogue, because it showed how joy and life had truly grown from chaos and war.


How long did it take you to write My Father’s Son? How long did it take you to finish and publish it?


The writing process took two years, while self publishing took less than a month.


Do you relate to any of your characters in My Father’s Son? If so, how?


Part of my inspiration for Audric's character actually came from me. I gave him a weakness I had been struggling with at the time - cowardice. I did it intentionally so I could write about overcoming the weakness, helping me and hopefully my readers. I also think that Forrest was given quite a bit of my personality. (which is why she's going to become your favorite character, riiight? Haha *wink wink*)


Are you working on any other writing projects?


So many! I've never been very supportive of multiple writing projects, but I have three novels I'm writing by myself, and three I'm writing with other people. It really teaches you to branch out and take tiny steps in multiple areas. My projects include a futuristic novel, two contemporary novels, and three medieval fantasy novels.


Who are some of your favorite authors?


Brian Jaques is at the very top of the list. He is basically the writer I aspire to become, and I've read his 22 novel series three times through. Also on my list are Wendy Mass and Chuck Black, for skill in character perspective and spiritual plots, respectively.


When you’re not writing, what are you doing?


Anything to do with music, whether playing the harp at events or listening to NF. Music is huge for me. I love hanging out with my family, as well as any of my close friends, most of whom I stay connected to long distance. It's also entirely likely that you'll find me sitting in my room daydreaming.


How did you get interested in writing? 


The novels my mom read to me as a child inspired me more than I could describe. I knew as I heard the stories I wanted to create that same feeling of emotion and passion in other people. I knew I needed to re-create wonder, sorrow, laughter, and love with my own words. The idea captivated me until I gave in to it, and I'm so glad I did! 


What would you say is your writing strength? Why?


I think I've always been skilled at writing action scenes, since it's something I do often and enjoy a lot. I'm also a fool for creative description, and would say I'm skilled at it; specially in this novel. Audric notices a lot of unique things when it comes to his surroundings - it's kind of part of his character.


What advice would you give to other writers?


Writing is a journey you can embrace. Anything you pour yourself into will turn into a life-long journey, and writing is no exception. Be willing to change, willing to learn, and willing to be patient. Find your weaknesses, find your strengths, and get to know them like you would know a friend. Get to know what you love about writing, and what you hate. Above all, keep evolving as a writer and enjoy the journey.


What do you hope readers will take away from your story?


Be brave, cherish family, and forgive. Life can rise from defeat, and death does not mean the end.



    Thanks for joining me for this look at My Father's Son. I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

    After reading this review, what do you think of the book? Would you want to check it out? Have you read or heard of a story similar to this one? Please post your thoughts in the comments.

    If you have a different book you'd like to review, I'd love to hear about it! Please check out my Review Policy page before posting any ideas. I review most MG and YA, and will give credit to anyone whose suggestions I use.

    Join me next week for a brilliant, fun take on crafting poetry...

No comments:

Post a Comment