Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books That Make Me Smile

     
    Hey all! I am so excited to share my first Top Ten Tuesday list. At first I was a little worried that I wouldn't know the right books to recommend, or even come up with all ten titles, but seeing what this list was about gave me more confidence. Soon I found myself trying to keep track of all the books I've read (which is not an easy thing) and then trying to pick and choose which go on here since there were so many I loved.

    Below is the list, including a short blurb about what made me smile about the book, and a list of the issues I can remember for those who're thinking about reading it. (Minor spoilers may be there, but I'm trying to keep those out of the picture.)

    (Edit: To view all of my Top Ten Tuesday lists, click here.)

    Let's get started!
Top Ten Books That Make Me Smile
(in no particular order)

1. The Great Shelby Holmes by Elizabeth Eulberg

(Note: You can find my full review of the book HERE.)

Genre: Mystery

Age Target: Middle Grade

What Made Me Smile: I loved both Shelby's smarts, and her and Watson's growing toward friendship. I also liked how Watson was viewed as a relatable character, while in the original Sherlock Holmes series I felt he was just the "random clueless guy tagging along". Also, Watson earns points for becoming #1 in the race for the Most Relatable Character.

Things To Know: Both Shelby and Shelby's brother (who are super smart geniuses) can be very condescending. Shelby first distrusts Watson since she's used to others trying to manipulate her. There is some sibling tension. There are mentions of Watson's parents' divorce, and his mom's tour in Afghanistan. 

2. Blank Mastermind by Rosey Mucklestone

Genre: Mystery/Superheroes

Age Target: Young Adult

What Made Me Smile: This was such a difficult, intriguing idea to tackle. And Mucklestone did this masterfully. Her POV of both Wolf and his past is really well written, and her plot structure kept me on my toes. Also, her inclusion of Schoolhouse Rock and ice cream was just amazing. I loved how it fit into the story perfectly and provided a lighthearted element amid all the more action-packed, serious stuff.

Things To Know: The book deals with a lot of killing/criminal activity. Wolf is seeking revenge for his dead family. Some light language, and mentions of cursing. Though it's not mentioned too much, many of the main characters are Christians.

3. The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser


Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age Target: Middle Grade

What Made Me Smile: The awesome, vivid dynamic between each Vanderbeeker kid reminds me of my own family. I loved learning about each of the characters' interests, getting that realistic, fun peek in each of their heads. I also appreciate that this book was a perfect read-aloud, and had no big issues to worry over. It was just a sweet, wonderful (though not without conflict) family story. The following books in the series are also great, too!

Things To Know: A main part of the book is the kids trying to make their landlord keep them in their apartment. One of the kids suggests putting rude words on the door of the landlord, before being convinced to be nice to him. In order to keep their apartment, the Vanderbeekers lie about the address to a potential buyer. Going to church is mentioned. The landlord deals with the death of his daughter. There is a barely-detailed romantic subplot between one of the Vanderbeekers and a friendly neighbor boy.

4. Miss Match by Erynn Mangum

(Note: The cover art has been revised from when it was first published.)

Genre: Christian Chick-Lit

Age Target: Young Adult/New Adult

What Made Me Smile: I could not have posted a "books that make me smile" list without adding one of Mangum's titles. Her debut novel, this is a little more "fluff" than "spiritual insight", but it's definitely a choice for when I want a good laugh and a trip to Nostalgia Lane. All of the characters are fun and lovable, and there is a lot of great tension and banter that spices each page up.

Things To Know: There's witty banter and references through the book that may/may not be appropriate. Sarcasm is also used. Though not really mentioned a lot or touched upon, the main character lost her mom when she was young. Her aging father is a germaphobe.


Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age Target: Middle Grade

What Made Me Smile: This is one of my favorite books. Josie and her family are so warm and relatable. I love Josie's personal journey, and her devotion to her newfound pet pig, Hamlet. I also love all the attention geared toward animals, family, and friendship. If you've read The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street already, this definitely has a similar feel.

Things To Know: Josie's pet pig is a runt, and Josie mentions trying to save her from "Hog Heaven." Her sister suffers from an attitude problem. There is a barely touched on romantic suplot between Josie and a long-time friend. Going to church is mentioned once.

6. The Map To Everywhere by Carrie Ryan and John Parke Davis

(Note: The cover art has been revised from when it was first published.)

Genre: Fantasy

Age Target: Middle Grade

What Made Me Smile: This was such a fun start to a brilliant, imaginative series. Both the story's descriptions and Todd Harris' masterful drawings make you feel like you've truly entered another world. I loved all of the characters to pieces, and I felt like I'd stumbled onto a new, out-of-time type of classic. If reading about an ocean that turns a pepper shaker into a kraken doesn't interest you, I don't know what does.

Things To Know: The characters are in mortal peril a couple of times. One of the main characters, Marrill, has a sick mom and ends up entering the fantasy world to try and save her. The other main character, Fin, has a missing mom, and for now is a Master Thief.

7. I Got This: To Gold and Beyond by Laurie Hernandez



Genre: Autobiography

Age Target: Middle Grade (but also great for Young Adult too!)

What Made Me Smile: Though this book's a couple of years old by now, I still enjoyed having a first-hand look at how Hernandez got to where she is now. Just reading her peppy, cheerful narration put a big smile on my face, like her joy and excitement had floated through the words to me! 

Things To Know: Laurie Hernandez is a Christian and mentions taking the homeschooling course Abeka to keep up with her gymnastics studies. Injuries due to gymnastics, and her depressed feelings because of that, are mentioned. One of the photo inserts shows her in a skimpy Dancing With The Stars costume.

8. Allie's Bayou Rescue by Missy and Mia Robertson


Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age Target: Middle Grade 

What Made Me Smile: First of all, I loved that this book (and the rest of the series) was written by a mother-daughter team, with the daughter being a young author. Also, Allie's POV was sweet and relatable. It was interesting hearing through Allie some of the Robertsons' point of view of being filmed during Duck Dynasty. I loved that after this book, I was hooked on the series and immediately wanted to see more of it!

Things To Know: All of the main characters of this series are strong Christians, and Christian living is a main theme in this book. Allie has trouble accepting her new cousin because he changes their group from an "all-girl" mentality. There is some danger and mayhem.


Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age Target: Middle Grade

What Made Me Smile: This was a complete surprise for me to find, but when I did, I was swept into the story. I loved getting to know each of the contestants on this Food Network-inspired show, and getting to see them grow into friendship. I also liked how all of them were super determined to win, despite any inexperience they might have. Rae was a favorite for me, but I liked Tate a lot, too.

Things To Know: One character faints on camera. Some contestants show off for the camera, and are immediately disciplined. A show producer tries to stir up drama between the kids competing in order to get more viewers. Though not an issue in and of itself, unless you don't know a lot about cooking (like I don't), the more advanced terms these prodigies and the show judges use are kind of lost on you. They use these terms a lot.



Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age Target: Middle Grade

Why It Made Me Smile: After reading Little Women, I was interested to seek out the similarities between the two books. I was pleasantly surprised! Schaefer's story not only retells Little Women in a clear, fresh, and accessible way, but manages to include the original charm of Louisa May Alcott's tale while enriching it in her own appealing writing style. I also love that she included so many recipes and activities between the chapters!

Things To Know: Much of Littler Women rewords the issues and shenanigans of the original. Instead of dressing up "like a fashion plate", Meg dyes her hair and puts on makeup that she wouldn't wear otherwise. Instead of trading limes, Amy brings kittens to school. The tension between Laurie and Jo is still there, although simmered down a little, and several jokes/mentions about liking and "making out with" boys is put in. Instead of marrying Mr. Brooke (called Brooks in this version) Meg and Brooks become boyfriend and girlfriend.


    I hope that you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday list. I personally had a blast putting it together, and am already planning to do more Top Ten Tuesdays in the future! I hope that this list gave you something new to put on your reading list, or gave you a suggestion for a friend.

    Which books have YOU read from this list? Which books are you interested in? Do you want me to do a review on a specific book on the list? Let me know!

    To find another cheerful book that almost made its way on this list, I'm going to be doing a guest post on Julia Witmer's blog this Friday.

    UPDATE: You can find the link, as well as a note from me, here or you can go to it directly here

    Join me next week for reviewing and interviewing a young author and her debut...

9 comments:

  1. The Great Shelby Holmes sounds so fun!

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! From seeing your TTT, it looks like you'd enjoy it.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. The cover of The Great Shelby Holmes by Elizabeth Eulberg made me smile. It seems like a fun mystery story! :) Here's my TTT list this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to check it out. Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad you talked about Littler Women! I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of it yet, but it sounds just exactly like what I was hoping for. I was avoiding Goodreads reviews because I didn't want to be too spoiled on the parallels or have any low raters bum me out, but this little taste of detail is just perfect.

    I haven't heard of anything else on your list, but a lot of them sound great. I'm really curious to hear about a pet pig, and the Vanderbeekers sound like they fill a similar space as Little Women in my love of books about large families and sibling dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we like a lot of the same books! I'm personally thrilled that you liked this post so much. It really made my day that you enjoyed it so much. I hope that you'll stick around here for the next few weeks, as I am planning to host some author interviews and possibly review some of the books mentioned on this Top Ten Tuesday list.

      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I enjoyed putting it together. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fun TTT topic. I'm glad these books made you smile!

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! It was fun putting it together. I am definitely planning to do one each month.

      I'm posting an author interview next week, so stay tuned for that! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete