Monday, December 28, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #4

   



    Hi! Welcome to my fourth It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post, part of my ongoing Week of Book Memes events. (To check out what I've been posting during past Week of Book Memes, click HERE.) 
 
    I took a week-long hiatus from my weekly book blogging but am so happy to be back. I have been very busy reading and writing-wise, juggling several story projects at once while trying to power through a few series at the same time. We were able to get to the library because of Christmas break, which has allowed me to read more printed books. Woohoo! I also got the promise of a free book of my choice (as well as a fun bookworm T-shirt) for Christmas, which I will definitely be using soon!
    
    Scroll below to get a feel for what I've been reading...
  
    Last week, I finished reading The Blue Castle, How to Be a Pirate, and Michael Vey: Fall of Hades.


 The Blue Castle was...interesting. Though I won't say it was my favorite L.M. Montgomery book of all time, Valancy was an interesting character, and it was engrossing to see how she handled the possibility that she might only have a year to live. I felt like her romance with Barney was a bit one-sided at first (and I could totally see it coming), but he turned out to be a good partner for her. And, of course, reading Montgomery's lavish descriptions of nature inspired me to put more in my own writing! (I SO want to see Prince Edward Island in person...)


I decided to read through all twelve How to Train Your Dragon books shortly after I found myself watching and loving the world and characters created by Dreamworks based on the same series. I think I remember flipping through the first book before I watched the movie, but not having enough interest to continue with it. Though it's probably not going on my top favorites list, How to Be a Pirate was amusing and cleverly written. I think it's fun to see both the book and movie characters and note similarities and differences. (Though they often seem like totally different characters, I could definitely see some of movie Hiccup's snark in his book self in How to Train Your Dragon and How to Be a Pirate.)


Michael Vey: Fall of Hades was another action-packed installment in the seven-book series. I do think Michael and Taylor's relationship and temporary "breakup" could have been written better, as despite all the time they spend together it doesn't seem like their relationship is that deep. I also kind of wish more of the electric children were developed as characters, especially Tanner. Nevertheless, I enjoyed all the different perspectives (both on the good and bad sides), the feeling of suspense Richard Paul Evans keeps in his work, and learning a little bit about all the different places the Electroclan visit as save the world.


 


    On the blog (two weeks before now), I got to interview Phillip Ulrich and Kaley Rhea, two authors whose work I personally admire. You can find my interview with Mr. Ulrich HERE, and my interview with Ms. Rhea HERE


    I also reviewed Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution the week before! You can find that review HERE.


    Right now I've been reading Love Comes Softly. (This is really random, but I received one of the fortieth anniversary editions of this book from the library. Apparently the author signed all of these copies, and I was so happy to see that her autograph was NEAT! For some reason I have this pet peeve of purposefully messy signatures from famous people.) 


Synopsis: Marty and Clem set out for the pioneer West full of hopes and dreams. They would stake a claim of their own on the new frontier, and build a home for themselves and their family.

But just after they'd arrived and Clem had chosen the perfect setting for their new home, an accident took his life...leaving Marty alone and pregnant. Then, on the day of his funeral, Clark Davis came along...and asked Marty to marry him!

Marty was infuriated -- but with no money, no shelter, and a baby on the way, what choice did she have? Besides, Clark said he only wanted her to be a mama to his baby girl, Missie. If Marty was still unhappy come spring, he would pay for her ticket back East.

Determined not to be a burden to Clark, and intending only to earn her keep. Marty threw herself into her new role of "Mama." But she had never been anyone's mama before, and she didn't even know how to keep a house! If only she could do right by this lonely man and his daughter just long enough to earn her train fare back home...

Now, Marty must learn wholeness and love through patience and faith.


    Next week, I'm looking forward to finishing Love Comes Softly and reading Michael Vey: The Final Spark and The Long-Lost Home (finishing both multi-book series!). I'm also hoping to get and read How To Speak Dragonese and Winter, so I'll put those on the list too. 


Synopsis: The Electroclan is facing a devastating loss: Michael is missing. What’s next?

The battle on the island of Hades ended with a devastating explosion that left the island a smoking ruin and much of Hatch’s army dead. Hatch survived, however, and while his plans have certainly suffered a setback, he’s more determined than ever to bring the world’s governments under his control. But first, he wants to wipe out the resistance and capture the remaining members of the Electroclan.

As Hatch’s forces storm into action, it seems nothing can stand in their way. The Electroclan is divided. The voice is captured, and Michael’s mother is being used as bait to lure the leader of the resistance out of hiding. Can anything—or anyone—stop the Elgen? Or is this the end?


Synopsis: Unhappy Penelope Lumley is trapped in unhappy Plinkst! Even the beets for which Plinkst is inexplicably famous fail to grow in this utterly miserable Russian village. Penelope anxiously counts the days and wonders how she will ever get back to England in time to save all the Ashtons—who, she now knows, include herself and the Incorrigible children, although their precise location on the family tree is still a mystery—from their accursèd fate.

Her daring scheme to escape sends her on a wildly unexpected journey. But time is running out, and the not-really-dead Edward Ashton is still on the loose. His mad obsession with the wolfish curse on the Ashtons puts Penelope and the Incorrigibles in dire peril. As Penelope fights her way back to her beloved pupils, the three brave Incorrigibles endure their gloomy new tutor and worriedly prepare for the arrival of Lady Constance’s baby. Little do they know the danger they’re in!

In this action-packed conclusion to the acclaimed series, mysteries are solved and long-lost answers are found. Only one question remains: Will Penelope and the Incorrigibles find a way to undo the family curse in time, or will the next full moon be their last?


Synopsis: The story begins when Hiccup, his friend Fishlegs, and his cranky dragon Toothless get separated from their class during Boarding-an-Enemy-Ship practice. They accidentally board a prowling Roman galley intent on provoking war. When they rescue a tiny nanodragon, they uncover a plot to steal every dragon on the Isle of Berk!

This is just the start to an epic adventure that will have kids laughing from start to finish, and shines with Cressida Cowell's trademark blend of action, humor, heart, and engaging illustrations.


Synopsis: With autumn settling over the cliffs of Mount Hegel, the bears of Haven are finally beginning to return to life as normal—as normal as it can be, with Growly and C.J. back from beyond The Precipice. But a blazing fire out on the Great River and a mysterious stranger on a desperate mission suddenly change everything. As winter approaches and a daring plan forms, Growly and his friends will realize that their world is about to change forever, and that sometimes risking all for someone else is the way that you find home.


    Thanks for looking at my bookshelf with me! I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their life to look at one of my posts, and hope that you are having a fantastic Monday filled with good books!

    What about you? Any reads you just finished? What books are you reading right now? Have you heard of or read any of the books on this post in the past? Please let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts and hear more about your bookshelf. If you also put a It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post on your blog, please link to it in the comments so I can read it.

    Tomorrow's Top Ten Tuesday topic is definitely a tough one! Join me as I tackle it head-on...

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Blue Castle in years-- a lot of Montgomery was put out in paperback after the 1980s Anne film. The Michael Vey books still circulate well in my library, although the Cowell books all fell apart, so I don't have those any more. Hope you have another good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing some of your experiences with the books with me! That's such an interesting fact about the Anne books...I didn't know that! I can see the Michael Vey and Cressida Cowell books being in high demand at libraries, too.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you got to visit the library! These books sound great! I wouldn't have expected that Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon would be very different between the books and the movies. The Long-Lost Home and Winter sound great as well! Thanks for the great post, and have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed looking at all my choices! Yes, you wouldn't think that the How To Train Your Dragon books and movies were any different, but I guess moviemakers have a habit of putting their own flairs on the stories they adapt, haha! Yes, I haven't started Winter or The Long-Lost Home yet but I'm excited to read both of them.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I've never read Love Comes Softly, but I've heard so much about it over the years. I think I'll need to add it to my 2021 TBR list. And that's so funny about the messy signatures thing. I have it packed away right now (since we recently moved) but I remember being especially pleased with Chris Van Allsburg's autograph. He stayed pretty late after his book talk presentation to sign every last signature in Dallas, Texas that year. My friend brought a whole stack of his books from her school library and I had two books -- he was happy to sign them all right on the spot, including "to" names. Hope you have a very happy New Year, JadeSky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you a virtual poke! XD Same...I've heard about it, but never read it before. I've never heard of Chris Van Allsburg but that sounds really, really nice of him.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. Sending New Year wishes back to you. I've moved several times in the past, so hope you and your family are able to settle in easily!

      Delete
  4. I read all the Anne books, but somehow didn't realize that she wrote other books, as well! Perhaps I'll give this one a go in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're in for a treat...LM Montgomery has written a myriad of different stories! "The Story Girl" and its sequel are some of my favorites.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. The How To Train Your Dragon books were always popular in my Elementary school library. It's good to know that LM Montgomery wrote books other than the Anne series. (I read them all in my 20's) I've added The Story Girl to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see the How To Train Your Dragon books getting a lot of fans...there's a reason the movies were made, after all! XD As well as "The Story Girl" LM Montgomery wrote a bunch of other interesting reads, including the Emily of New Moon books, "Pat of Silver Bush", "Kilmeny of the Orchard", "Magic for Marigold", "A Tangled Web", and "Jane of Lantern Hill". I hope you'll consider adding some of those to your TBR list too!

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  6. A part of me wants to read more L.M. Montgomery but I feel like I'd be cheating on Anne Shirley. It's crazy but it's true, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting opinion! If you still want to read more of LM Montgomery's work, would you consider adding some of her Avonlea short stories to your TBR list? That way you can still read about new people and stories that are in the same storyworld as Anne.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  7. I cannot remember if I read The Blue Castle. I have always wanted to see PEI too. :) Thanks for sharing so many books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. Yay...I'm glad we have that in common! Thanks for looking at my post and commenting.

      Delete